Thursday, December 25, 2014

Acupuncture Appointment #2

Tuesday was my second appointment for acupuncture. I was so stressed at work trying to play catch up from being in training last week. Plus getting things ready to close for month end and year end...oh the joys of being an accountant. I left work feeling overwhelmed and wanting to skip out on my appointment. Even though the needles didn't hurt I always work myself up when I know needles are involved. I had no energy to work myself up this time because I was stressed about work. I walked into the clinic, checked in and sat down. Another lady walked in and checked in. She sat in the waiting room and we started talking. She was doing acupuncture for the first time with this clinic. She told me her fear for needles and her bad experience with acupuncture at another clinic. She was nervous. She explained how she was there for fertility reasons and how she has a chromosome issue. She is a carrier for a certain syndrome. The outside of her looks normal but the inside of her is messed up. The defect makes her eggs age as if she was 45 years old. She is going through IVF so that she doesn't pass this onto her child. The only problem is that she doesn't produce that many embryos because her eggs are considered old. Her first transfer didn't work and she didn't have any embryos left. She is having to do it all over again. She said she only grows maybe 5 eggs and after testing she only ends up with 1 to 2. My heart just sank and I wanted to bawl my eyes out for her. Everyday you meet someone who is fighting a battle. When people are rude or not friendly I have remind myself that maybe they are fighting a battle in life. It doesn't give them an excuse to act that way but we never know what people are battling in life. It could be cancer, divorce, fertility, finances, etc.  After speaking to her I reminded myself that yes I'm battling a rough road of fertility but thankfully I grow plenty of embryos. I couldn't imagine having to do shots every time for a new transfer.

I was called back to go into my appointment. I sat down and Chris began to ask me a few questions. I answered them and then it was time to get on the table. He began to stick them in and he said "You are doing much better this time." I explained to him how it didn't hurt and I was just so afraid of the unknown last time. The only needle that is uncomfortable is the one on top of the foot. He continued to put the needles in and got close to my face. I said "No no no...not my face" He said " I know I have big bold letters saying not her face." And then he reached over me and stuck one in my scalp. I freaked out for a second just because I was thinking about a needle being in my head..but then all of a sudden I felt all this pressure release from head and shoulders. All the stress from work and all the sinus pressure from my allergies. I fell asleep almost immediately after he walked out. I literally slept the whole time. It was the best 30 minute nap ever. When he came back in I told him how wonderful it felt once he stuck the one in my scalp. He said yes it can be very relaxing. When I left the appointment I couldn't wait to call Mikie, my mom, and my sister to tell them. They couldn't believe I let him. Well I didn't really have a choice because he didn't tell me....he just put it there. I think he knew if he told me then I would day no. Ha!

Well tomorrow we go to the doctor for blood work, ultra sound, and teaching visit. I'm praying that all test come back good and we can start injections on Tuesday, December 30th. I'm getting excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment