Saturday, April 18, 2015

Ready, Set, Go.......

Friday, April 10th Jade went in for her SIS procedure to check her lining. I didn't go to this appointment with her. She sent me pictures during the appointment and kept me updated the whole time. She passed through that with flying colors. She said "Dr. Kim said everything looks good so I asked him Good? or kind of  good? or Great?" and Dr Kim replied "Great" She did snap a picture of him while she was spread eagle on the table. She has no shame. I was dying laughing at the office when she sent me the text message. She posted the picture on facebook and my lawyer commented on her picture saying "I don't know if I told you or not but Dr. Kim's wife and I were good friends in college" Wow talk about a small world. I do have to say that I feel so comfortable with Jade because I know she will keep me included in everything. I plan on to be all the appointments but decided not to go to that one.

Over the weekend we both turned in the signed copies of the contract. So the contract process is complete 100%. Now my lawyer is waiting for the first trimester to be done so we can draw up the Birth paperwork to present to the hospital stating that Mikie and I are the parents. I do have to say that I'm so glad Jade recommended my lawyer. She has been so prompt on everything and responds quickly to all my emails. I have to say that the contract was the smoothest process. I think also because Jade and I were so open with each other and talked through the pricing and everything.

Monday rolled around and Jade began to contact our donor nurse. Jade always puts me on copy when she emails our nurse. She started to ask what the next step was and when could we make our baseline appointment. The nurse told her she was waiting on Jade's pap smear record. Jade got that sent over to her right away. After that she sent over a calendar with all of our dates and it had the transfer for May 14th. (YAY! I was jumping for joy in my office) Jade contacted me and said she wanted to see if she could go in for baseline appointment on Friday when we had our counsel session. I told her I was fine with that and she could contact her. (I love Jade's persistence! I'm not a very pushy person and she is, which is good.) The nurse wrote back and informed us that she received Jade's pap smear record and she could go ahead and make her baseline appointment for Friday, April 17th the same day as our counsel session. She called the Katy office and they worked her in. Mikie and I had to be in Memorial City area by 9am and I was afraid we wouldn't make it if we went to her baseline appointment and then had to drive there. Jade went by herself and sent me a message as soon as she left. She said "Everything looks great". I was so relieved. Now we just had to wait on her blood work to make sure her levels look good. Mikie and I were driving to the counsel session and we both were a little stressed. We both didn't know what to expect or what she was going to ask.I told Mikie to answer her questions honestly and to be himself. She isn't there to change you or make you think differently. She is there to make sure there is good communication between all of us. He thought the process was a little "stupid" but its because he didn't understand the reasoning behind it. Plus some people who talked to us were referring to her as the "quack doctor". I cannot stand people who refer to therapist or psychologist as that. Most of the people who make fun of them are the ones who need to go see one and have a few issues themselves. We had our appointment at another fertility clinic called Houston IVF. We stepped off the elevator on the 23rd floor and the clinic had the entire floor to themselves. It was a beautiful clinic but you could tell it was strictly a clinic. The waiting room of my clinic seems much more inviting and comforting. The counselor has an office at that location but works with all clinics. We were sitting in the waiting room and our nerves just kept increasing. Jade ended up showing up right before we had to go back. She calmed us and told us to be ourselves. We were called back and walked into a little room with a couch and two chairs. Mikie and I sat on the couch and she sat in the chair. Leslee (the therapist) began to ask all sorts of questions from "How did you meet" "How long have you been married" "Is this your first marriage" etc. After she began to find out a little bit about us then she began to ask about our journey and what led us to surrogacy. We touch a little bit about the surrogate route and the relationship we have with Jade. She was very impressed with all the things that we had discussed with Jade. She said we were very open with each other and she loved the communication level we have with each other. Overall we made a very good impression on her. After our hour session, Mikie and I went back to the waiting room. Jade and Ryan went back to talk with Leslee alone before we all had to meet together. The meeting with all four us went very well. There was not a whole lot to talk about during our joint meeting because our communication between each other has been so well. We laughed a lot and talk about some important things that we had not discussed. After the counseling session, you really figure out why they have this in the process. She explained to us that most couples go through an agency and sometimes the counsel session is the first time they meet each other. YIKES! Leslee is pretty much a mediator and is there for the difficult questions or disagreements. Fortunately, we do not have any disagreements with Jade. We did agree that our child will call Jade, Auntie Jade. She will never be referred to as birth mom or anything mom. The counselor did explain that we never use the term mom with Jade. Mikie and I are the mom and dad. We did agree that when our child understands we will explain the surrogate journey to them. After all, I do have this blog that I hope they get to read one day.

Yes this journey is sort of a job for Jade but I think this journey is a lot different for her since we are not strangers. She has a huge heart and is all for anything Mikie and I want. So we all laughed as we walked out saying "Hmmmm we aren't so crazy after all" LOL!

As we were leaving the counsel session, I received a phone call stating that Jade's blood work looks great. The nurse said she will start medicine on Monday and transfer will be...............MAY 7TH!!!!! We are so excited!!!! The nurse said "I wanted to call you and inform you before we called her" It is so nice to know that we are still the first ones who get the results. Yes it's Jade going through this but it's our baby. They will call us with all results before they let Jade know.

After the counsel session and great news, we all went to lunch together. Mikie and I took them to eat and we celebrated the good news. I have to say that this lunch meeting was much more relaxed compared to the dinner meeting. HA! Mikie and Ryan talked all about truck and mechanic stuff. Ryan and Jade had us rolling with some of their stories of when they first dated. Mikie and I were almost in tears laughing so hard at them. It was so nice to see all four of us relaxed and laughing. We sure have come a long way since day one. :)

After lunch, we all decided to go back up to Dr. Kim's office to sign consent forms. We had to sign these before a certain date. Jade signed hers when she went in for her baseline appointment but Ryan, Mikie, and myself had to sign them too. We all signed them and laughed with the nurses. I truly love my office! They always bring a smile to your face and you can guarantee that Mikie will always make them laugh. We talked about the fertility walk that is coming up on Sunday. Jade, Autumn (my cousin's wife) and I are going to walk to support fertility awareness. I'm so excited to be apart of this walk.

Once our eventful day of doctors was done. I decided to call Kristina and see if she would let her brother watch Hutch. I told her that I wanted her to get out of the house and go get a pedicure. Ryan and Jade agreed to babysit and I got her out of the house for at least 2 hours. We got pedicures and nails done. She thanked me a 100 times for getting her out of the house. I know she really needed a break seeing how she hasn't gotten a break since the day Hutch was born. She hasn't done much for herself. Hutch is battling acid reflux really bad and cries almost all day long. They recently changed his medicine and we are praying this is the fix. She has had some emotional break downs as any new mom would have. I sent her a text saying "I'm so proud of you. You are an amazing role model for me. I hope I am at least half the mom you are. Keep your head up. Even on your weakest moments remember I look up to you and love you the most" She wrote me back stating how I made her cry and that she is so proud to call me her best friend. A lot of people have explained to me my strength I have to be around new born children and pregnant friends. I think it isn't hard with Kristina because I love watching Kristina be a mom. I know how bad she wanted to be a mom before she got pregnant. It wasn't easy for her but it wasn't as tough of a struggle as it is for me. I think its an eye opener too that yes couples have been blessed with children but we all struggle somewhere. Mikie and I struggle getting pregnant, Kristina struggles with Hutch's acid reflux, some couples struggle with medical conditions of their children, etc. We all face some type of struggle; therefore, we should never judge anyone.


Next week is fertility awareness week and I cant help but look back on our journey. Its been a long and hard journey but each step made us stronger. We are not the same people who walked into that clinic a year ago. We've grown so strong in our faith and in our marriage. We have gained so many supporters and friends. I did mention to Leslee that I blog and I've gained so many supporters. I told her it makes my hard times easier and my tears turn into smiles. Its because of each of you who read this blog and who reach out to me that make this journey less painful. I think it also helps that the Ohl/Helm family is so loved and all of their friends have now become our friends and supporters. I want to thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for everything. I'm so excited about what is to come. I have a lot of faith in this journey with Jade. I do believe that we will be holding our little girl or girls in January. Our arms anxiously wait for that day!


The man God chose me to marry. I'm so lucky and blessed to call him my hubby. We were waiting for Jade and Ryan to finish their session and for us to go in for the joint session.

I dropped my mom off at the airport earlier this week. She went to Australia to meet my dad. They are doing a little vacation together. I love watching them live life together! They are truly an inspiration to me on love and marriage.

Some of my AWESOME co workers. I work with some amazing women who have supported me during my entire journey. They are one of the reasons why I commute so far to work!

Another coworker who has supported me. Now she is my workout partner. Bye Bye Fertility drugs...hello gym!

My handsome nephew, Hutch! He is such a little stud muffin! He sure does love his Auntie Tori.

He looks so peaceful and sleeps just like his daddy...mouth wide open!





No comments:

Post a Comment